Fedora 15 boot delays -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 2 18:07:45 UTC 2011

        I was seeing some very slow boot times, probably self inflicted,
        until I re-installed F-15 after which it worked quite nicely.
        Until I disabled network manager and set up a non-dhcp network
        with system-config-network.

        Then I could connect to the internet by clicking on "Activate"
        and the browser and e-mail functions worked but there was no
        connection to the LAN. Ethtool reported there was no device. I
        then did:
        cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
        /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1  and rebooted and eth1
        came back on and I had access to my NFS, etc.

        However the boot routine now stops at "Start LSB: The cups
        scheduler" and sm-client, 60 seconds at each one which makes for
        a long boot time. Normally that's only done once a day so it's
        mostly an annoyance but I would like to fix it so it works right.

        That or I guess there's really no reason I can't live with
        network manager. It's just that I don't need it, these computers
        are all "desk top" computers firmly rooted to my desks and
        tethered to the 60 cycle main.

        I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
        network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?

        Bob.