Preupgrade fc14 to fc15 failed, kernel is not installed

GeeKer Wang wwthunan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 02:31:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> On 06/02/2011 09:00 PM, GeeKer Wang wrote:
> > Hello, Kevin
> >
> > I can't enter my system now, however,  I check the upgraded system using
> > livecd.
> > After login in my system by chroot in livecd, by checking "rpm -qa |grep
> > fc15 ",  I am sure that many fc15 packages have installed.
> > And all the 3 steps you mentioned have passed, which takes a couple of
> > hours. So at least most fc15 packages have installed.
>
> OK, so while looking at the live system chrooted to your system, what is
> the response to:
>
> rpm -q kernel
>
> Let's find out if the proper kernel got installed.  If so, then we'll
> have a look at your /etc/grub.conf (which is just a symlink to:
> /boot/grub/grub.conf).  And then we'll try and figure out how to install
> it by running grubby by hand....
>
> There is no fc15 kernel, only
    kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.i686
    kernel-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
    kernel-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686

> I just found a empty upgrade directory in /boot, and nothing related to
> > fc15 there. I guess preupgrade must forget to install kernel.
>
> Not likely, though its possible in some bizarre set of circumstances.
>
> Are you 100% sure that preupgrade didn't stop prematurely with some sort
> of error message?
>
> It halted halfway because of installing openjpeg-devel. I renamed  related
files and preupgrade continued without other problem.

> So what I should do to rescue it is to upgrade/install kernel in chroot
> > environment. But I don't know how to upgrade  kernel with a kernel RPM
> > file. Any advice?
>
> Let's find out if it got installed first.  If it did, and it didn't
> install an entry in the grub menu, then it was a script-let of the
> kernel RPM which errored.
>
> If it did not get installed, it should be easy enough to install one by
> hand (with RPM) and see if it installs without any errors (and correctly
> modifies your /etc/grub.conf file).  If it requires dependencies to
> install, then you will have other problems.
>
>  When I tried "rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.38.6-fc15.i686.rpm", it failed with "grubby
fatal error: unable to find a suitable template". But it created some
files(eg. vmlinuz-xxx-fc15, initramfs-xxx.img) in /boot and /lib/modules.
However, grub-install didn't recognize these files.

Bob