No Minimize Button

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 02:46:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> I've installed Fedora 15 64 bit on my machine.
> I am brand new to Fedora.
>
> I notice that all my windows have the "X" for closing
> the window in the upper right, but no minimize or
> restore button.  From my internet searching I suspect
> this is very unusual.  Has anybody heard of this or
> do you know how to fix it?
>
> Here is an example of what I am talking about:
> http://www.mflan.com/temp/minimize.jpg
>

> If I right click on the header bar I get Minimize -
> Maximize - Move - Resize - etc in a selection box.
> That is the only way I know of to minimize my
> windows.

It was a design decision in Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) that involves
some controversy. There are many many threads filled with lots of
debate about it. If you want to know more, mine the mailing list
archives. There are substitute methods to work with the desktop that
require some adaptation of your work-flow (dragging windows the the
edges of the screen, using overview mode with the hot corner,
abandoning a desktop background with stuff on it).

But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
re-enable them.

/Mike