What's with systemd?

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 5 10:35:37 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I have just upgraded my F13 machine to F15. This acts as a server,
providing mail and web etc. (only 3 users - it's for me and my family).
I have tried very hard to understand how systemd works but I'm just not
there yet.

I was OK with init scripts and chkconfig, but now when I try to start a
service I often get a cheery "OK" on the terminal, but in fact the
service has failed completely. Even if I get a "Failed" message I can't
find anywhere the reason why the startup failed. I have resorted to
starting the offending application by typing the name of the binary into
a terminal to see what messages it provides...

Anyway... Rant over...

The real problem I have is that after a reboot, several key services
fail to start. The crucial ones (for me) are sendmail and dovecot. There
are no messages in any logs (that I can find), but my mailchain just
isn't working.

I start them manually, and then all is well. I can't understand why
(especially sendmail) fails to start after a reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Mark

# chkconfig dovecot --list

Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not include native
      systemd services. SysV configuration data might be overridden by native
      systemd configuration.

# chkconfig sendmail --list

Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not include native
      systemd services. SysV configuration data might be overridden by native
      systemd configuration.

sendmail       	0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off