Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 10:42:34 UTC 2011

On 3 June 2011 14:31, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 02:04:17PM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> >> >

> Seems the rest of your email is not about extensions anymore. I think it
> would have been better as a new thread as it seems unrelated to the
> distribution of extensions.

Probably, I'd been meaning to write it down at some point and after
the first couple decided if I didn't put it here I'd probably never
get around to it. Still planning to post them over at the gnome lists
at some point.

>> 7. Multiple entry points into the same limited configuration menu.
>> This annoys me whenever I run into it. Used to be the case in older
>> distros, I think Mandriva had something like it, late RH / early
>> Fedora maybe. The KDE on the oldish Slackware I run at work.
>> Essentially there are lots of ways to get into a configuration menu,
>> which turns out to be the same one. So if trying to change settings
>> you spend lots of time trying to find an configuration editor to
>> change something (see 1#, #2) and then it turns out to start the same
>> application that didn't do what you wanted the last time. F12/F13
>> finally had some quite powerful and useful configuration tools.
>
> Could you expand on this? I think it is better if you can find your
> setting right?

Probably more a fedora problem, it seems like a lot of configuration
tools are gone. So in the case where you're trying to adjust something
you look for the tool that will do it. You open it and get to some
aspect of the settings manager, which isn't what you want, so you
close it and try again. Go through several iterations of this and
arrive at the settings manager from different directions. And I mean
system rather than desktop configuration here.

>> I think most of these problems could be solved if someone broke into
>> Gnome HQ and confiscated all their touchpad PCs.
>
> There is no HQ and it is just a random collection of people whom all
> have their own thoughts and ideas. Feel free to help/assist.

I could maybe have done with a smiley there.

--
imalone