Timeout for service shutdown in legacy services

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 14:26:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 09:52 +0300, Leonid Podolny wrote:
> Hi,
> When systemd tries to shutdown a service, after a certain timeout, it
> just kills all the processes belonging to this service. There is a
> configuration option that allows to change that timeout. However, it
> is available only for the new systemd formatI and not for the "legacy"
> (i.e. /etc/init.d/*) services.
>
> The full story goes like this: transmission-daemon has an
> uncharacteristically long shutdown time. Every time the service goes
> down, systemd thinks that it is unresponsive and kills it. It messes
> up the metadata of the seeding (i.e. fully downloaded) torrents and
> when I bring the daemon back up, it thinks that it needs to
> re-download a torrent, even though the actual data is there. I have to
> manually select "Verify the local data" every time I start the daemon
> and it is incredibly annoying.

I've had a somewhat similar experience with Qbittorrent, but it dates
from F14 and so has nothing to do with systemd. The author tells me that
the latest QBT fixes it (version 8, now in updates-testing). IMHO it's
the responsibility of the app to store persistent data safely in
anticipation of sudden exits or crashes, so I don't know that extending
the timeout is really a solution.

poc