Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed Jun 8 16:23:25 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 11:02 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 08:49 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> I also use avant-window-manager to add a mac-like dock to the bottom of
>> my screen to hold application launchers and icons for open applications.
>
> Is it just me, or does anybody else feel that it's Just Wrong to have to
> install third-party addons to give Gnome 3 the same functionality that
> Gnome 2 had?  I can accept (but not understand) their decision that
> these things shouldn't be there by default, but why not make them an
> option?  Please, no flames; I'm not trying to restart that argument,
> just making an observation.

No flames, please!

Last summer, I switched my laptop from Windows Vista to Mac.  It took a
bit of rethinking to accept the new desktop. I think it will be the same
process for Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.  I can make Gnome 3 work for me without
avant-window-navigator, but I've come to like the Mac look and feel (and
the eye candy of the dock).  The functionality is still there, for the
most part, in Gnome 3, but it's in different places.

Here's a screenshot:
http://www.sterndata.com/content/gnome-3-and-awn-new-desktop

Gnome 3 is still a work in progress, so <underline>as Fedora
users</underline> interested in being on the leading edge, it behooves
us to try the new stuff and provide <very bold>constructive and useful
feedback<back to normal> feedback about how it's going for us.

--
-- Steve