Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:03:13 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 02:08 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
> Please understand that I'm not trying to be combative here, but...
>
> How is a user supposed to know:
>
> 1. gnome-shell == GNOME 3?

It is not.   GNOME 3 is lot more than a new desktop UI.  There are
number of changes including the new control center,  dconf,  GTK 3,
various improvements to the other components etc.

> 2. gnome-shell is available in F14? I don't remember it being
> mentioned in the release notes or any list of features.

It was originally introduced in Fedora 12 actually.   Mentioned in the
release notes here

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_in_Fedora_for_Desktop_Users.html

I am sure it has been mentioned in many other places as well

> 3. gnome-shell will irreversibly replace what the user is familiar
> with in the next release?

GNOME 3 development has been done in the open from the start for over 2
years.   So is Fedora development.  This isn't news to anyone following
the news or even just reading the release notes

> So, now having discovered all of the above, the user can install F14
> and gnome-shell, try it there and provide feedback on that version?
>
> Better to change the default system and keep the old system available
> for a release cycle, rather than provide a virtually unadvertised
> preview version up to the point that it becomes the default and the
> old system is no longer an option.

Packaging GNOME 3 and GNOME 2 in parallel would have taken a lot more
effort than you seem to think it is.  It is not supported by upstream
and would involve tons of hacks which needs to be tested at the
distribution level.   Fallback mode is essentially GNOME panel and
Metacity and should suffice for users who need time to transition into
the new UI

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!

Rahul