creating a custom fedora spin

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:56:20 UTC 2011

I want to create a customised fedora install image, with lots of rpms
left out, lots of 3rd party ones added and some post install
customisation. Up until F14 I've been using home grown scripts, but
these seem to need revising with every release, so I want to start
doing this the "official" way.

I looked at http://spins.fedoraproject.org/support, but the
information here seems a little out of date. From what I can gather

* livecd-creator is the tool to use, even for an install cd
* revisor does not work on F14 or F15 (error is "Cannot find
anaconda-runtime in /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime" and the bugzilla entry
indicates it is now deprecated).

On my newly installed F15 box, livecd-creator
--config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-fedora.ks
--fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live

fails with

Error creating Live CD : Unable to install: Could not run transaction.

Should I be using something else? If I should be using livecd-creator,
is there any documentation for it, other than the overview on the
spins page? Has anyone already done this with F14 or F15 and can share
their recipe?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Chris