Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:55:36 UTC 2011

On 06/10/2011 03:11 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> cups is normally configured to listen just on localhost (that is, NOT
>> through network connections). From /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, you need to
>> change this line:
>>
>> Listen localhost:631
>>
>> to:
>>
>> Listen localhost:631
>> Listen 192.168.2.3:631
>
> You probably need to mess with this too, in the same file:
>
> # Restrict access to the server...
> <Location />
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow localhost
> </Location>
>
> - Mike

Dr., there was a third line in cupsd.conf: "Listen
/var/run/cups/cups.sock"; so I put "Listen 192.168.2.3:631" between the
two lines already present. Also added "Allow localhost" as recommended.

Having done that, three things have changed: (1) I now get a 403
Forbidden page when attempting to access the desktop from the laptop via
the browser, and 2) I noticed that from the cups interface on the
desktop (the remote machine to which the printer is connected) that
though the printer was meant to be shared, it isn't. So I modified the
printer from the administration page (still on the remote machine to
which the printer is connected) and checked the box to share it, and it
will not share it. Furthermore, 3) the laptop now detects the printer,
but when I attempt to print a test page, the job is held with the
comment that "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed".

Progress (and thank you very much), but what does the failure message mean?

--
Regards,
Bill