Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 10 20:41:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 16:19 -0400, Bill wrote:

> Oh man! I was doing the hplip stuff on the laptop (guest), not the
> desktop. Should have known that. I'll try again. Thanks. (..."the print
> client host"; is that the laptop - the computer without the printer
> connected?)

Yes, that's what I meant. I think if you add the printer on the host
that actually has the printer connected, CUPS will broadcast its
presence on the net, but your firewall on the client host would have to
be open to seeing these broadcasts (they come on UDP port 631). If you
aren't listening to CUPS broadcasts, then you might also have to add the
printer on the client laptop.

--Greg