/var/log/messages is empty

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 23:17:09 UTC 2011

I just had occasion to look at /var/log/messages for the first time in a
while and there's nothing in it. I think this dates from my updating F14
to F15.

/etc/syslog.conf looks normal. This is the relevant stanza:

        # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
        # Don't log private authentication messages!
        *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

Also, /lib/systemd/systemd-kmsg-syslogd is running.

I have never touched any part of the syslog configuration since first
starting to use Fedora years ago, so there's no a priori reason it
should suddenly stop working, but I assume systemd has something to do
with it.

Anyone know the magic incantation?

poc