Unable to fix label of /run: read-only file system.

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 12 09:12:36 UTC 2011

2011/6/12 James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com>:

> You can't.  The filesystem is marked as RO.  Is this a CD/DVD media?  If
> it is NOT, you have to mount the media as Read-Write so that the label
> can be updated.
>
> James.

No, this started after I upgraded from f14 to f15. My grub entry says:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64 ro
root=UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX rhgb quiet SYSFONT=XXXXXXXXX
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=XX
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64.img

and It's been like this since f10 I think. I saw that when I boot from
livecd/-dvd I didn't get those messages.

However during the boot process there is a messages saying
"...remounting root fs read-write...". Should I change the grub entry
(delete the ro) and if so what'll be the impact of this? Why was "ro"
passed to the kernel in the first place, anayway?