Adieu, Fedora

Stephen Bunn scbunn at sbunn.org
Mon Jun 13 02:30:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun June 12 2011, David wrote:
> > On 6/12/2011 8:48 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:20:39 -0700
> > >
> > > When you run Windows for the first time, annoying tutorials badger
> > > you incessantly about learning how to use the Windows interface
> > > and/or adapting to changes made in the new version of Windows.
> >
> > FUD
> >
> I disagree. He makes a very valid point. New installs of Windows always
> come up with a tutorial and "helper" app. I have never seen anything like
> that on Linux. It's as if the developers are too busy with programming the
> next iteration of their favorite app to be bothered with documentation, and
> NO ONE has yet come up with a grand-unified "help" document (trust me "man
> $appname" doesn't always work...)

Seriously? You aren't really trying to argue the point that windows has
better documentation than GNU/Linux.

That and the *goal* shouldn't be who has the most users.  The *goal* should
be a desktop that does what the user base needs it to do. The GNU/Linux user
communities need to stop this nonsense of trying to compete with Windows
and/or OS X.  Instead we should be focusing on building an operating system
that works for the existing user base. If its good other people *will* learn
it.