Should Gnome 3 implement WPAD, or not?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jun 13 23:21:44 UTC 2011

I have WPAD configured on my LAN.

Configuring Firefox to "Auto-detect proxy settings" correctly picks up my
WPAD-designated proxy in Firefox. I can confirm that Firefox is loading my
proxy settings, and is using them properly.

However, as far as I can tell, libproxy does absolutely nothing. In F15's
Network Settings, I have the Proxy method set to "Automatic" with a blank
URL. According to the description below the prompt, I'm let to believe that
this should result in Gnome picking up my WPAD configuration file. As best
as I can determine that's what "Web Proxy Autodiscover is used when a
Configuration URL is not provided" means.

However, the proxy CLI tool returns "direct://" for every URL. Looking into
the libproxy package, it looks like native libproxy support for WPAD has
been ripped out in F15, and replaced with a hook to retrieve the proxy
settings from Gnome. And, as I said, I get "direct://" for any URL. As far
as I can tell, Gnome is ignoring my WPAD completely.

Has anyone gotten WPAD working correctly in F15/Gnome 3?I looked at the hits
for wpad.dat on my web server. I see the hits, but all of them carry
Firefox's user agent string. I see no hits on wpad.dat that I can attribute
to Gnome retrieving it.

Can anyone confirm if:

* you can demonstrate that you have Gnome 3 picking up your WPAD settings, or

* whether the blurb in the network proxy settings indicates something other
than WPAD