weird behaviour of gnome-terminal in xfce or LXDE sessions

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 05:57:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> After choosing xfce or LXDE as my favorite desktop and logging in and
> then starting gnome-terminal, I see a weird effect: gnome-terminal is
> popped up in a normal size, but then the width shrinks automatically and
> slowly to about the half width. How to get rid of this behaviour?
> This happens even width freshly created users.
>
> All comments are welcome.

gnome-terminal is a Gnome3 app. I would expect it to be GTK3. Whereas
XFCE is not GTK3. In fact AFAIK the XFCE spin actively tries to stay
away from GTK3 apps. Maybe this has something to do with your problem?

I find the terminal emulator included with XFCE (terminal) equally
functional. Actually I even find the defaults more sensible to my
tastes. Is there any reason you prefer gnome-terminal?

> Kind regards
> --
> Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>

Hope this helps.