Dual monitors, one "desktop"...

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Jun 14 16:03:36 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 10:14 AM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> You can install gconf-editor and set
>> >  /desktop/gnome/shell/workspaces_only_on_primary to FALSE.
>> >
>> >  However, I should warn you that I've been told by GNOME upstream that
>> >  this is an unsupported feature, and I've identified quite a few bugs
>> >  with how it behaves.

This refers to Gnome 2, which used gconf. Gnome 3 uses dconf, but there
is no configuration key available for this functionality.

> Hrm, I did as you directed and it didn't change anything. I logged out,
> logged back in and the right monitor still doesn't change when I switch
> desktops.

I don't think this is possible. I see the same thing on my dual-monitor
setup and I do not know of a way around it. To be honest, it seems like
a bug. The whole desktop should be considered a virtual desktop.

It is probably time to search the Gnome bugzilla and file a bug if one
hasn't been filed already.