Still some mysteie about FC15

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jun 14 18:52:11 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 06:34 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> What is obscure about it?  chkconfig will not list any systemd services
> and sshd is still using sys v initscript

Raul, I'm sure that this is obvious to you because you've been involved
in the development of F15 and have been exposed to much more of the
internals than most people.  However, you need to remember that the rest
of us mere mortals haven't, and that it's not exactly clear to us.

In this, I speak from experience.  I did senior level tech support for
an ISP for about 7.5 years.  After several years I found myself getting
aggravated more and more by the junior techs who constantly missed
things that I found obvious and trivial.  Finally, the situation got so
severe that (as Terry Pratchett would put it) I *came out the other
side* and realized that the other techs simply didn't have the
experience to recognize what was going on in many cases, and I got less
aggravated and more willing to explain things to the juniors in the rare
cases when they were interested in learning.  Alas, most of them were
content with simply reading off their cheat-sheets and passing the
caller off to somebody more experienced in the (all too often) case that
they'd picked the wrong one.

The point of this long-winded message is, don't assume that something
should be clear and obvious to everybody here just because it is for
you.  Remember, most of us don't have the depth of experience that you
do, and we're grateful that you're willing to share it with us.