Adieu, Fedora

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 22:34:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Marcus D. Leech <mleech at ripnet.com> wrote:
>> mount point and the desktop icon (on my F13/GNOME system).
>> The problem continued to exist when I went to F14, and is still there
>> now that I've switched to XFCE.  My main complaint isn't that it doesn't
>> work, it's that the USB devs refused to even admit that their software
>> wasn't reporting the label, even when presented with evidence directly
>> contradicting their claim.  Yes, it's up to the DE to make use of the
>> label but claiming that it's reported when it is not, isn't the best way
>> to go, IMO.
> There are four items that are inherent to a USB Flash drive, regardless
> of what type of filesystem you've formatted it for:
>
> P:  Vendor=0781 ProdID=5406 Rev= 0.10
> S:  Manufacturer=SanDisk
> S:  Product=U3 Cruzer Micro
On my XP installation this is EXACTLY what shows up when I plug in my
USB drive.  No other labels but what the device is.

Some folks would love to see "Mikey's USB Thingie" but that is not
what is written in hardware at the first glance and is only picked up
if a device specific driver is loaded.

James McKenzie