Adieu, Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 15 12:41:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 07:36 -0500, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> We need to get more beginner docco out there--and get it to people.
> Maybe downloading a Linux distro results in an E-Mail to the user with
> a link to "How Linux is Different from Windows"--which is a video, and
> a text document, and maybe a downloadable E-Book--that describes what
> they're going to see, and how to do the same things in Linux they
> commonly have to do in Windows, and how to solve common installation
> problems--and avoids fanboi/religious rants while doing so.  (No, this
> doesn't exist, AFAIK).

A beginner's guide will have to be explicit.  You can't throw a "theory
of operation," at them.  You've got to show them exactly how to do
certain tasks.  Which means:

There'll need to be specific guides for each release of Linux.  Or,
Linux releasers will have to stop changing how things are done.  Even
such things as applications changing names, positions in menus, or going
from menus to some other choosing apparatus destroys instructions and
user understanding.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686