Adieu, Fedora

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 15:27:20 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 11:34 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Marcus D. Leech <mleech at ripnet.com> wrote:
>>> mount point and the desktop icon (on my F13/GNOME system).
>>> The problem continued to exist when I went to F14, and is still there
>>> now that I've switched to XFCE.  My main complaint isn't that it doesn't
>>> work, it's that the USB devs refused to even admit that their software
>>> wasn't reporting the label, even when presented with evidence directly
>>> contradicting their claim.  Yes, it's up to the DE to make use of the
>>> label but claiming that it's reported when it is not, isn't the best way
>>> to go, IMO.
>> There are four items that are inherent to a USB Flash drive, regardless
>> of what type of filesystem you've formatted it for:
>>
>> P:  Vendor=0781 ProdID=5406 Rev= 0.10
>> S:  Manufacturer=SanDisk
>> S:  Product=U3 Cruzer Micro
> On my XP installation this is EXACTLY what shows up when I plug in my
> USB drive.  No other labels but what the device is.
>
> Some folks would love to see "Mikey's USB Thingie" but that is not
> what is written in hardware at the first glance and is only picked up
> if a device specific driver is loaded.

That's not the case on a modern Linux desktop for most file systems that allow
volume names/labels.

Interpreting labels is done in user space (needs no special device drivers) and
the use of that information is down to the desktop environment.

For e.g. if I set the volume name (label) of a vfat USB key with either
mkfs.vfat or the graphical gnome-disk-utility then Gnome3 in f15 mounts the key
using the volume namer as the mount point name (and displays in in
Computer/nautilus).

Regards,
Bryn.