systemd discussion

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:56:12 UTC 2011

JB wrote:

> - going beyond system init replacement
> - not adhering to UNIX principles (modularity, etc)
> - interference with sysadmin duties/decisions to set up the system (e.g.
>   protocols)

It would be nice if there were more integration with system-config-services
or a better, more modern replacement.

I never needed all of those run levels, It was just confusing and useless
complexity. And 2-3 of them were always unused anyway, so getting rid of them
was sensible.

Why shouldn't it load modules on its own? If the system can take care of
running itself, then all the less for me to worry about. I don't want to have
to configure every little thing; I want the system to run itself. But, I do
like to be able to configure those things that interest me. I think that
Fedora 15, as it is now, allows me this.

> There are people on test and user lists who are afraid to even touch F15
> ... and the reasons are systemd, GNOME 3, etc. Things called "progress"

That's their problem. My computers are running as I want them to and I have
no complaints. Love progress, even when it means I have to unlearn some old
stuff and adapt to improvements.

If you don't like gnome 3 or kde 4, then there are lots of other window
managers in the fedora repos, or you can go all cli by logging in to vt-2 to
vt6.