systemd discussion

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jun 15 23:00:24 UTC 2011

On 06/16/2011 12:13 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:39:38 +0000 (UTC)
> JB wrote:
>
>> There are people on test and user lists who are afraid to even touch F15 ...
>> and the reasons are systemd, GNOME 3, etc. Things called "progress" ...

Well, I am "sufficiently impressed" by F15 for not using it :)

> I rather like systemd, not because I feel like I'll ever be able to
> understand it ("mind numbing complexity" is a phrase that comes to
> mind :-),
So far, I am having problems to find reasons to like it :=)

It certainly solves a couple of problems sysvinit/upstart had, but is
introducing new ones and without any doubt has integration issues.

> but because it really and truly does indeed boot the system
> much much faster. Not small percentage benchmark faster, but big
> human perceptible speed increases.
Really? I measure almost identical times for cold-booting F14 rsp. F15.

 From grub-prompt into gdm: both ca. 60s (wrist watch measured;
Identical machine, similar configurations, parallel installation into
different partitions of the same disk).

Ralf