How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Jun 15 23:28:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 17:16 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
> I'd like to be able to get at it through either
> KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
> I've tried to set up both without success.
> That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.
>
> With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
> Server Innformation
> Incoming server:
> Outgoing server:
> Use local delivery
>
> With evolution, I'm stuck when I get to the "Receiving Email" page.
> For server, I'm completely stuck.
> Which username?
> My name on my box or the username part of my e-mail address?

Mike-

If you are talking about connecting to an Exchange server, there are a
few options, and you might need the cooperation of your server admins.

The only Linux client that I know of that tries to work with Exchange is
Evolution (but see below).  Here's what you can do:

For Exchange 2007 or earlier, on the Receiving page, select Microsoft
Exchange as the server type.  (That uses the old OWA--Outlook Web
Access--protocol.)  Your username is probably just the name part of your
e-mail address, not the domain.  You'll need your admin to give you the
OWA URL.

For Exchange 2010, you can try the Exchange MAPI server type.  Your
admin can tell you the server and "domain name" (that's Exchange domain,
not DNS domain).  The MAPI interface is not yet feature complete, but it
seemed more or less functional last time I tried it.

If neither of those work for you, you can try the IMAP interface.  Not
all Exchange servers offer IMAP--that's up to your admin.  If IMAP is
available, you can use any mail client, but you won't be able to get
calendar, contact, and task data.

For Exchange protocols, receiving and sending are configured together.
For IMAP, you'll need to send mail via SMTP, so you'll need the server
name for that from your admin as well.

Most of the rest should be more or less self explanatory.  You may need
to get your admin's advice about encryption and authentication
protocols.

HTH.