rsyslogd bug?

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Thu Jun 16 02:42:44 UTC 2011

I think there is a bug in rsyslogd on f14.

According to the man page it very specifically states that a "kill -HUP
pid" will reload rsyslogd.conf.  I tried modifying one of the rules in
rsyslogd.conf followed by a HUP; I tried variations on the rule.
Nothing mattered.  HUP did *not* pick up the changes.

So killall -TERM rsyslogd followed by /sbin/rsyslogd -c 4 and the new
rules were picked up and it began to behave correctly.

Conclusion: either the man page is wrong or rsyslogd has a bug.

Mike Wright