Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 21 05:05:34 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 11:00 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:57:24PM -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>
>> On 06/20/2011 09:44 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>>> There is a paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3 which I have not
>>> seen discussed on this list.
>
>> I too noted the mouse deprecation in Gnome 3.  Besides
>> alienating a large group of users who simply prefer using
>> the mouse over the keyboard when there is a choice, ....
>
> Do you people actually work with Gnome 3.

I tried, but I turned away ...

This Gnome 3 isn't a replacement for Gnome 2, it is an entirely
different product with a completely different target audience.

To me it's like my favorite take-away pizza store having stopped
shipping pizza and now selling burgers instead.

That said, I am sure Gnome 3 will find its target audience, but it will
not be the Gnome 2 users - I for one have started to evaluate other
desktops and other distros.

> The Gnome developers missed a great opportunity to make keyboard
> work easier by not implementing the use of the 'arrow keys' to navigate
> the icons in the Dash and the icons in the applications overview for
> example (like Ubuntu did with Unity which actually offers keyboard
> users more versatility).
Agreed, though Unity seemingly shares much of the mindset with Gnome 3
it comes with nice solutions to details (some of the superior to Gnome 3).

> Experience it honestly for yourself.
;)

It's what I am trying to do ... so far "no go" for Fedora 15 and Gnome 3
for me ;)

Ralf