Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:58:15 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 06:28 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>    I'd be very wary of 3rd party extensions - the API is not guaranteed
> to be stable and the extensions live outside of gnome core - so they may
> break at any time - unless they are released and tested as part of core
> it seems like bad advice to suggest people rely on them.
>
>    Also, how are security/privacy issues checked and managed in
> extensions versus gnome core - do people just trust the extension
> writers - or are the fedora packagers actively verifying there are no
> issues?

GNOME Shell Extensions is a module that is in upstream gnome as much as
GNOME Shell is.  Extensions submitted there get reviewed and merged at

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions

Suggesting those extensions are not problematic necessarily.  For other
extensions,  it is usually trivial amount of javascript code.  Security
and privacy issues are no more problematic for those extensions than any
other random package in the Fedora repository.     Nobody is actively
reviewing code typically at the distribution level.  The situation now
is not ideal because extensions are new and we haven't hashed out all
the details yet but there isn't a reason to be alarmed about it.

Rahul