Removing NetworkManager results in very slow boot

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 14:59:07 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 03:34 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> john wendel wrote:
>
>> I removed the NetworkManager stuff from systemd, since I don't want to
>> run it. Now there's a long boot delay while DBUS tries repeatedly to
>> talk to NetworkManager.
>
> Couldn't you just have said (as root) "service NetworkManager stop"
> and added "chkconfig NetworkManager off" if you didn't want it
> to come up when booting?
> And maybe "service network start" if you wanted the rival "network".
>
> As it is, I'd "grep -r NetworkManager /etc/rc.d/init.d"
> to see if something is trying to start NM on bootup.

Thanks for the reply.

You're correct, I should have used chkconfig to turn it off. But, I
looked at "chkconfig --list" and didn't see NetworkManager, since it is
now managed by systemd. So, I did things the hard way (rm the links that
systemd uses). I now understand that systemd would have been invoked by
chkconfig.

Just to clarify, NetworkManager is not running (exactly what I want).
But DBUS wants to talk to NetworkManager, so I get a 60 second wait at
boot time.

I'll restore the original configuration files, use chkconfig, and see if
things go better.

Thanks,

John