Removing NetworkManager results in very slow boot

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Jun 22 16:26:41 UTC 2011

On 22/06/11 11:15, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 09:43 PM, john wendel wrote:
>> I removed the NetworkManager stuff from systemd, since I don't want to
>> run it. Now there's a long boot delay while DBUS tries repeatedly to
>> talk to NetworkManager.
>>
>> Obviously, I did something wrong. How should I have stopped NetworkManager?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>
> sudo /sbin/service chkconfig NetworkManager off
> sudo /sbin/service NetworkManager stop

        I did the first two steps above and it appears that F-15 might
        boot in little more than 30 seconds if it did not stop in
        Plymouth for two minutes. I don't think I even need Plymouth do
        I, since I don't boot in the graphic mode?

> sudo yum remove NetworkManager

        I didn't remove NetworkManager yet, don't know it that will take
        care of the problem?

        As it is I have to "connect" manually and then mount my NFS to
        to get a usable system.

        2-1/2 minutes is a long time to boot, even worse than the 1 min.
        24 sec. with NetworkManager running.

        How can I stop the pause at "Plymouth?" I did not find it listed
        under chkconfig.

        Bob