Removing NetworkManager results in very slow boot

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 19:58:36 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 02:47 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2011 06:37:30 JD wrote:
>> On 06/21/2011 10:13 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> Glad to hear you have it working for you.
>> Does it manage your wifi connection?
>> I have been trying to make it work for
>> my wifi connection, and it always invokes
>> wpa_supplicant with the wrong params
>> and so, it never tries to connect to my wifi
>> network.
>> Would appreciate some pointers to docs on
>> how to properly config NM to use the right
>> wpa_supplicant.conf.
> IIRC, I think I have read somewhere that NM does not invoke the regular
> wpa_supplicant, but has its own internal version, and it completely ignores
> the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
>
> I remember that at some point I used the old network service to start my
> wireless network, and I used to configure and use wpa_supplicant. When I
> switched to NM, this became unnecessary, as NM did everything itself. Since
> then I typically disable the wpa_supplicant (chkconfig wpa_supplicant off) and
> just let NM take care of everything.
>
> So, you want to forget that .conf file, get into the NM GUI and configure wpa
> credentials from there. Worksforme (btw, I'm still on F14, not sure if any of
> this changed for F15).
>
> But anyway, we are hijacking the thread from the OP here... ;-)
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko
Hi Marko,
In gnome-terminal shell prompt, I invoke

$ nm-applet
** Message: applet now removed from the notification area

** (nm-applet:8573): WARNING **: get_all_cb: couldn't retrieve system
settings properties: (2) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any
.service files.
** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area
** Message: applet now removed from the notification area

** (nm-applet:8573): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching
system connections: (2) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any
.service files.

And it gets stuck there, because (I think) I currently do not run NM.

When I try to run NM manually:
# service NetworkManager start
Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
Starting NetworkManager daemon:                       [  OK  ]
# ps -ef | grep NetworkManager
root     8763  8657  0 12:52 pts/1    00:00:00 grep NetworkManager

So, it will not run. No idea what's making it exit.