Excessive system usage problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 24 15:26:24 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 07:57, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 24.06.2011 13:38, schrieb Bob Goodwin:
>> yesterday someone left something running and by the time I
>> realized the problem we had used more than a gigabyte which
>> doesn't sound like much if you have unlimited usage but we only
>> get 17 gigs per month
> this is the wrong package especially for mor than one user

        This is the best package available from our ISP [Wildblue]. The
        basic package starts at 5 gb/30 days! It is a satellite system
        and they limit each user's usage. We live in a rural area where
        the alternative is dial-up which is too slow. Actually the 17 gb
        is sufficient even with all the users we have as long as they
        don't rune streaming data, video, audio, whatever. I restrict a
        number of sites in the router. This has been working for us for
        about five years.

>> I shut down the other computers but never identified which one
>> had been causing the problem.
> [harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ ifconfig eth0
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 00:50:8D:B5:CC:DE
>            inet Adresse:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Maske:255.255.255.0
>            UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>            RX packets:3478872 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>            TX packets:3449708 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>            Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
>            RX bytes:1448170730 (1.3 GiB)  TX bytes:807800503 (770.3 MiB)
>            Interrupt:23 Basisadresse:0x8000
>
>> Can someone suggest a way of measuring usage per device,
>> identifying them by address, MAC, or uuid? I really need to know
>> which one is the offender to control the problem
> i do not understand your "definition" of device and guess you mean program
> since you spoke about shutdown comouters, on the other hand you are
> speaking about AMC and addresses

        Device = computer.

        Sorry if I was not clear.

        Bob