more serial port troubles

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jun 25 02:05:15 UTC 2011

Mike Wright writes:

> Sunday I'll go buy two connectors and wire my own 3-wire null modem
> cable: ground, tx, rx.

With that, you have to turn hardware flow control off.

I would also recomment crossing DTR with DSR and CTS, to get hardware flow
control.

>                        I'm tending to agree with you that something in
> the cable chain is messed up.

A gender-changer is NOT the same thing as a null-modem adapter. That's the
most common oversight. If you have something in there that swaps the genders
around, it might be just a straight-through gender-changer. In addition to
changing genders, the right pins need to be crossed, that's what a null-
modem adapter does.