gnu linux update question

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 03:18:53 UTC 2011

On 6/28/11 8:04 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 10:51 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> Usually ordinary users are prohibited from accessing /proc/<whatever>
>>> from what I remember.  That is why root works and joe-blow does not.
>>>
>>> James McKenzie
>>>
>> I'm totally fine with it - but seems to work for some - curiosity now.
>>
>> I wonder if those for whom it works are in group wheel or something -
>> perhaps as my firstboot failed when systemd got its knickers in a twist
>> with the luks passwords and firstboot and i915 graphics somehow first
>> boot was a black screen .. dont recall now if f15 or f16 puts first user
>> in wheel group - and if that matters at all.
>>

> I took a quick read of the python script....
>
> It would seem that if one is not running as root it will check the PIDs
> of the user invoking the command to see if any of those processes need
> to be restarted.
>
> I ran it as a user running KDE....and it took several seconds to
> complete....lots of PIDs for that user.
>
> I ran it as a user that had ssh'd in.  Completed very fast....only a
> couple of PIDs.
>
> Of course  an ordinary user can access many /proc/<whatever>   ....
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo   being one of many....
I was referring to /proc/<pid whatever> when that user did not 'own' the
process.  I'm under the impression that this is/was part of the security
'features' of Fedora Linux.  I don't have a RH box to look at and verify.

Of course, I have been known to be incorrect and if I am in this case,
something else is happening then.

James