named shows different results

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:04:57 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 01:26 PM, fedora wrote:
> from the outside world, the new (correct) value is always returned.
>
> what could the problem be and how to avoid it?

You are viewing the contents of different caches.  Your internal "view"
has a cache and your "external" view has another one (I assume you're
using "bind views"). So, for example, if you do:

dig @127.0.0.1 whatever.com

..you may not get the same result as:

dig @my-external-ip whatever.com

I don't know how's your bind setup but which cache you get will depend
on the configuration you have.  If your views are separated based on
destination ip (contrary to source ip) then you could place your
external ip in your /etc/resolv.conf so that all responses to queries
within your server match that of the external clients.  But then again,
be careful on how you reference your server when using dig because as I
mentioned, you'll get different results.

HTH,
Jorge