So where are my workspaces??

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Sun May 1 21:33:08 UTC 2011

On 04/30/2011 01:17 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Chris Kloiber wrote:
>> I run 8 workspaces, 4 across, 2 high. Email on screen 4 (upper right)
>> personal stuff on 8 (lower right) and up to 6 different work tickets on
>> the others. It's important for me to directly access any of them with a
>> click on the panel so I can jump back and forth from ticket to ticket as
>> needed. From what I have seen and heard so far, I'm screwed. Please
>> prove me wrong.
> I understand it is possible:
>   * to assign keyboard shortcuts to take you to a particular workspace:
>     (Windows / Super / Menu) plus number has been suggested.
>   * to use the Windows key to bring up the overview mode, which may be
>     faster than going to the top left corner then the right-hand side of
>     the screen.
>   * to install gnome-shell-extensions-auto-move-windows, which:
>          Lets you manage your workspaces more easily, assigning a
>          specific workspace to each application as soon as it creates a
>          window, in a manner configurable with a GSettings key.
>
> As other people have indicated, you may find that having as many
> workspaces as needed, rather than being artificially limited to six, is
> a major bonus. You may also find that the overview graphical preview of
> your workspaces is much more useful than the Gnome 2 one, since it will
> show you a lot more clearly what is in each workspace.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

Thank you, but I'll pass. I have since found that the magic incantation
in fallback mode is to use ALT when right clicking on the Gnome-Panel
will give me all the old options like adding things, moving things, etc.
Now all I need to discover is how to change the system theme to not be
what appears to be "black on black" so I can get the colors correct.
Then Fallback mode may just be usable. Let Gnome3 simmer for a few
releases to see if all the pointy edges (read: painful changes) get fixed.

Oh, and I don't do a "Windows" key. My keyboard was made in Feb.1988 for
a PC-XT, and has been upgraded to PS/2 or USB as needed. I like the IBM
Model-M "clicky" keys, and the idea that it's built solid enough to
deflect bullets. (a little bit anyway... B^)

BTW- How would "gnome-shell-extensions-auto-move-windows" handle that I
want a different Firefox window in practically all of my workspaces, and
I want the same Pidgin to show up the "current" workspace, and follow me
around? And if I want Thunderbird in workspace #4 before setting up
magic workspaces 2 and 3?

--
Chris Kloiber