Audio CD ripper -

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:27:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 15:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I see several other app's that look as though they should work but
>     don't, e.g. grip, sound-juicer, asunder. They seem to have trouble
>     finding the cdrom drive and I'm not sure they are any faster to
> use
>     than K3B. But it seems they ought to work.
>
>         [bobg at box9 ~]$ asunder
>         Error: Couldn't open /dev/cdrom
>         Error: Couldn't open /dev/cdrom
>         Error: Couldn't open /dev/cdrom
>
>     Grip produces an error message:

/dev/cdrom is usually a symbolic link to the real device, e.g. on my
system:

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 Apr 27 12:21 /dev/cdrom -> sr0

That's what you need to check first. Since the automount thing is
working, see what physical drive is mounted on /media/<whatever>. Note
that you my need to unmount it (but not eject it) for the ripping apps
to be able to access it directly. Alternatively, start the app before
inserting the disc.

poc