Creating a Gateway

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 11 19:35:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 18:36 +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> I have an existing network on 192.168.0.1 served by a Netgear Router,
> then a Linux box with two ethernet cards. I am trying to get the
> gateway working for the 192.168.1 subnet to be able to see the
> internet.

Really not enough information...  We'd want to see the whole
configuration file for the gateway.  Probably the firewall rules, too.

Is it like I outlined?  The gateway with the two interfaces, with each
interface on the two different subnets, with appropriate addresses on
each?  The clients on each subnet having gateway addresses like my
example? et cetera, et cetera...

> I tried the gateway address as 192.168.0.254 but that did not work
> either.

The .254 ending address is nothing special.  It's a common address to
use, but it doesn't configure the device to work in a special way.

When you change device configurations around, are you restarting the
networks so they actually do read the configuration?

Have you got the right patch leads between devices?  (Straight-through
or cross-overs, where required.)

First tests would be clients pinging their gateway, gateway pinging
their clients.  Before you try clients pinging through the gateway to
clients the other side.

How's the gateway going to work?  As a router?  NATing?

Are you IPv4-only?

You mentioned webmin, something I've only played with many years ago,
and gave up because it added its own complications to things.  You're
probably better off directly working with the configuration files while
you learn how to do this.  Later on using something like that as a
convenience device.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686