Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:37:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I just lost enthusiasm in further use of skype.
> So which one is on the top of the list, in your opinion?

I was very unhappy with the news also. I am hoping GNU Free Call comes
up with something easy to install and configure soon. SIP Witch is not
exactly a drop-in replacement for Skype.

I have been using GTalk via the browser plugin and it works quite
well. The only problem that I have found is that you cannot call out
to POTS phones unless you are in North America (or VPN there). I am
not entirely sure why that restriction exists and Skype was happy to
take your money to make a call to a POTS line no matter where you were
in the world. No so for Google even if you are a North American with a
Google Voice account living abroad. :[

/Mike