pings with noise-apology

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 13:17:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 21:04 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> On 05/10/2011 10:58 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > According to the man page whenever you use the -a option on the ping
> > command as in:
> > ping -a ip-address
> > each ping return should cause a noise to be generated.
> >
> > I can't seem to get that too happen. What could be wrong?
>
> As root, "modprobe pcspkr"

I need to apologize. The above suggestion does work. But not on my
laptop. It works on my desktop. What is also strange is that the pcspkr
is not loaded by default. So you need to load it explicitly to make the
ping -a feature work. At least it is not loaded by default on my
machines.

A candidate is a person who gets money from the rich and votes from the
poor to protect them from each other.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net