Comparison of Desktop Environments in F15?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sun May 15 00:48:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:02 AM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good comparison source for the functionality and
> usability of the various desktop environments that will be released in
> f15?

I think you're asking more than one or two questions here. ;-)

> i.e. the main comparison between Gnome3, KDE4, LXDE and XFCE as they
> work in f15.

LXDE and XFCE won't change all that much, near as I saw.

Gnome3 and KDE4, you've probably seen the threads on how they've been
"dumbed down" (or, more accurately, re-focused towards people who
aren't planning on doing all sorts of technical things with them).

> A nice table of which standard programmes are set up to do things like
> terminal, CD/DVD writing, browser, mail client, config settings both
> for the DE and the system, as well as the display etc.

I've often wished for such information. Particularly, I'd like a
complete list of the apps they include with the custom spins. The
media and security spins, in particular, would profit from not having
to read through a yum listing of packages and a recursive diff against
/etc/* .

> Also a comparison of launcher setup and capability, wireless and
> network icon and settings, virtualisation launchers and managers, pdf
> viewers etc.

I think this is what is called productizing the distro. I think it
takes more resources in Q/A and documentation than Fedora currently
has, which will probably lead to the answer, "Are you volunteering?"
(To which I wish I had time to say, "Sure!")

However, I'm sure there are partial lists available around.Wish I
could be of more help, but I'm still fighting with grub2 from Debian
not chaining to my Fedora installs. Wasting more time looking for
perfection from that than I would to just do update-grub in Debian
every time I see I've updated a Fedora kernel. But it's helping me
understand grub. (I think.)

Joel Rees