Protected WLAN

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:50:50 UTC 2011

On 05/23/11 09:28, Tim Smith wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2011 16:36:00 Tim wrote:
> Not really. This is SSID, not BSSID (BSSID is usually the MAC of the AP).
> When you scan, you not only listen for beacons, but you (should) send probe
> requests. If you put an SSID into your probe request, you will get a
> response only from a BSS with a matching SSID, so you broadcast saying
> "network named 'MyHouseNetwork' please respond" at which point you get the
> response from the real BSS which has the real SSID in it and not the bogus
> one that went in the beacons.
Well, I have placed wpa_supplicant in full debug verbosity
output mode, and it's probe/scan does not seem to be aimed
at just my router. In fact it gets usually 3 to 5 responses
from which it then selects my AP.
The wpa_supplicant.conf has the SSID and the BSSID in the
configuration. So, how come the probe/scan gets more than
one response?