Set inittab to 3

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed May 25 20:30:33 UTC 2011

On 25/05/11 10:02, R. G. Newbury wrote:

>> Ah sorry, you edited /etc/inittab. Yes, in the grub screen at the end of the
>> 'kernel-line'
> After fixing this, you can replace inittab with the script I posted in
> Issue 53, which is archived here:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/392873/match=re+start+system+without+x+fedora+15

        I assume it is intended that I run that script to effectively
        change to inittab "3"?

        I copy/pasted the script into a file and did"

        [root at box6 bobg]# /home/bobg/apps/reviedinittab

          Setting RUNLEVEL to

        /home/bobg/apps/reviedinittab: line 13: [: =: unary operator
        expected
        ln: failed to create symbolic link `./multi-user.target': File
        exists
        /home/bobg/apps/reviedinittab: line 22:
        /etc/systemd/system/default.target: No such file or directory
            Default target set to multi-user.

        It wanted to be run as root. I still boot into the graphic
        screen. This script appears to be doing what I did manually
        which did not work either.

        It doesn't seem that it would be related to XFCE does it?

        Once again this is making a major problem of what has always
        been a routine configuration change.

        Bob