Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu May 26 01:51:30 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 07:17 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> What kind of rocket science is needed by the average linux installer,
> besides extracting RPMs or .tar.gz files and copying files to the HD?
>
> Other than selecting different kernels based on architecture (say,
> i386, i686, etc) after hardware sniffing, couldn´t a "working bootable
> system" base image be extracted from a single file, and then only
> customize the drivers (kernel modules) needed for a particular
> system?, and additional packages selected by the user?.

I think you are grossly underestimating the complexity of a modern Linux
distribution installer.   ISCSI,  LUN storage discovery,  RAID,  LVM,
kickstart,  network handling,  kdump,   mirror lists,  storage
handling,  swap,  partitioning,  encrypted devices,  resizing,  handling
upgrades etc are just some of the things I remember off hand that
Anaconda does.    So no,  not rocket science but far from trivial either.

Rahul