Why on the Earth GNOME Shell hiding Shutdown & Restart options

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:59:00 UTC 2011

On 26 May 2011 13:19, Misha Shnurapet <shnurapet at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> 26.05.2011, 20:24, "Michael Schwendt" <mschwendt at gmail.com>:
>>
>> If you log out, they are still available at the top right of the screen.
>
> I find it perfect.
>
> Switch on and off quickly with Suspend, and use Shutdown before going away for long (makes you want to save your work, close all other stuff and log out).

If I want to shut my laptop down I don't want to wait while logging
out and then shut it down. In fact, if I want to shut anything down
I'd rather not wait while I log out. Fortunately the Alt menu is
there, but I'm always surprised when Gnome claim to be trying to make
things more intuitive and then hide basic functionality behind secret
keystrokes or options that can only be changed through the
configuration database. Will probably be going XFCE/LXDE soon unless I
can find the time to summarise the mistakes Gnome3 seems to have made,
there's a good idea in there but it's buried under bad choices and the
usual Gnome resistance to customisation.

--
imalone