A question from the truly dumb?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri May 27 15:33:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

More and more I have noticed the use of a double colon [::]in coding
explanations but have not noticed it actually used anywhere.  Does it
mean anything other than being used as a format.

For example, in a recent repo description:

        perl-DateTime-Format-Natural
        Description :
        DateTime::Format::Natural takes a string with a human readable
        date/time and creates a machine readable one by applying natural
        parsing logic.

rsync uses the :: in its a man pages.  There it seems to indicate a
remote machine, but doesn't seem to be required.

Just something I have been meaning to ask for a long time.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32