Reverting evolution to Fedora 14

N James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Fri May 27 20:44:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 18:01 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just upgraded my a couple of my machines to Fedora 15/x86_64 up
> from Fedora 14 x86_64.
> Sadly enough, due to large number of GNOME3 related issues, I'm
> thinking about switching back to Fedora 14.
>
> Here the problem: When I upgraded my netbook and fired up evolution,
> it automatically upgraded my evolution DB.
> Currently evolution is DOA - as I cannot send any emails without
> crashing it [1].
> So the question is rather simple: Can I somehow export the mail DB
> back to a format that Fedora 14's evolution can read? (Assuming that I
> can recover the DB's, among other thing evolution crashes seemed to
> have corrupted the DB).
>
> - Gilboa

I have also had a major problem with evolution in Fedora 15. I had made
a backup archive using evolution 2.32.2 in F14. F15 installs evolution
3.0 - and it worked fine until I tried to restore from the archive. That
seemed to work (including converting the database to a maildir format)
but then the program just hung indefinitely when trying to fetch mail.
Curiously, even if I turned off the send/receive function, there was one
folder which would not open, though all the others worked normally. (The
folder contained all the mail from this list!)

I have temporarily reverted to F14, where evolution 2.32 restored from
the archive without a hitch, and am now copying and pasting all the
emails I want saved into text files. Tedious, to say the least. Then I
can go back to F15 and start evolution with a clean sheet.
--
N James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>