Today's GNOME3 funny

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Mon May 30 05:49:47 UTC 2011

On 05/28/2011 05:12 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I was looking at gnome3.org today, and their FAQ says that "The traditional
> GNOME 2 desktop will not disappear overnight, however: releases of GNOME 2 will
> continue to be supported by distributions for years to come." so clearly they
> don't imagine everyone will drop all their software and retrain all their users
> overnight.
>
> Ubuntu doesn't see to have that thought, either.
>
> I was looking for a way to run fc15 in a VM, which worked in the alpha and
> hasn't (for me) since. The FAQ says that's the case, no VM has a powerful enough
> video emulation to handle the worthless eye candy. The Virtualbox people say
> much the same, but their spin is that the video could do the job but GNOME
> insisted on using some direct to hardware stuff they don't off. I freely admit I
> didn't spend a lot of time deciding anything other than both of them imply the
> fault is with the other.
>
> My fc13 machines are moving to RHEL6.0 or a similar distribution, I'll be able
> to keep them secure for a while and see which way the wind blows.

VirtualBox 4.0.8 does enough 3d emulation (after installing the client
tools) to start Gnome3.

I am having a problem though when I try to access the "System
Settings"/"System Info" icon. The window appears to open, but it's
completely white. If you dare click anywhere on anything else, (like the
"Application" link, the Clock, or your full name) the whole screen turns
white, and the font goes to hell. After that the whole desktop becomes
unusable. The VM is not hung though, as you can still Ctrl-Shift-F2 to a
console, log in as root, and "init 3 && init 5" to restart the desktop.
Too bad I need to access some settings in that dialog... Can any one
running F15 in the latest VirtualBox confirm this, if so I will bugzilla it.

--
Chris Kloiber