Constructing Grid on Fedora

Abu Attar Musharih abuattar.musharih at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:11:01 UTC 2011

Dear List,

I have a cluster of several PCs, each is running Fedora, either 14 or 15.
I want to make this PCs grid enabled, so I installed globus  (
http://www.globus.org/ )  and made a server with a global IP and with
a subdomain. My main objective is to be able to run parallel
programming (mpi), harnessing the idle CPUs of onlines nodes.

The stage at a moment, I have successfully  set up  simple-CA and the
GSI of the server.

Globus commands works fine, for example:

++++
$ globus-hostname-lookup fedora.org
Resolving address (fedora.org)...
-------------------------------
Numeric address: 67.40.49.xxx
Expected DN suffix: /CN=host/hoxx.trippy.org
++++

$ grid-proxy-init
Your identity: /O=Grid/OU=GlobusTest/OU=simpleCA-localhost.localdomain/OU=localdomain/CN=
Abu Attar
Enter GRID pass phrase for this identity:
Creating proxy ............................................ Done
Your proxy is valid until: Wed Nov  2 05:01:04 2011

++++++

I tried but failed to copy a file from one node to a server.

$ globus-url-copy file:///home/username/Grid/Codes/cpi.c gsiftp://domainname/

The message is as follows,

error: globus_xio: Unable to connect to domainname:2811
globus_xio: System error in connect: No route to host
globus_xio: A system call failed: No route to host

It seems something to do with the port 2811.  Checking  /etc/services
of the server gave the port number and the protocol
++++
root$ less /etc/services | grep gsi

gsigatekeeper   2119/udp                # GSIGATEKEEPER
gsiftp          2811/tcp                # GSI FTP
gsiftp          2811/udp                # GSI FTP
gsidcap         22128/tcp               # GSI dCache Access Protocol
++++

As I do not have any experience, I have no idea how to fix it.
I mainly rely on internet searching, but still can  not find the  answer.

I expect  from this list some  suggestions or any comment.
Thank you very much  in advance.

with best,
AA