Constructing Grid on Fedora

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:18:02 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 01 November 2011 09:11:01 Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> I have a cluster of several PCs, each is running Fedora, either 14 or 15.
> I want to make this PCs grid enabled, so I installed globus  (
> http://www.globus.org/ )  and made a server with a global IP and with
> a subdomain. My main objective is to be able to run parallel
> programming (mpi), harnessing the idle CPUs of onlines nodes.

Depending on what you actually want to do, globus may or may not be the right
tool for the job. What exactly do you want to do, for what purpose, and what
is your hardware setup?

> I tried but failed to copy a file from one node to a server.
>
> $ globus-url-copy file:///home/username/Grid/Codes/cpi.c
> gsiftp://domainname/
>
> The message is as follows,
>
> error: globus_xio: Unable to connect to domainname:2811
> globus_xio: System error in connect: No route to host
> globus_xio: A system call failed: No route to host
>
> It seems something to do with the port 2811.

This can be a number of things. However, in globus deployment (especially if
you are doing it for the first time), the *number* *one* culprit is always the
firewall. Globus uses *a* *lot* of custom ports, and it expects all of them to
be available.

So, as a first step (and for testing purposes only!!!) take down the firewall on
both machines (the client and the server), as

# service iptables stop

and retry the gsiftp. Be aware that shutting down the firewall is VERY
DANGEOROUS and should be brought back up as soon as possible. However, when
debugging Globus, it is the only reasonable way to check what is wrong.

If gsiftp is successful with firewall down, then do some research on what ports
you need to open up and customize your firewall config. Expect to spend
considerable time on that, since the config will be very, very custom. :-)

If it isn't the firewall, then there is something wrong with some part of your
globus installation. It can be a number of things.

You are better off asking on one of the globus support mailing lists (I am not
actively following any of those anymore, so cannot point you exactly). I doubt
you will find many people with Globus experience on the Fedora list. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko