F15_64: missing iptable_filter

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:12:48 UTC 2011

Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger <at> ieee.org> writes:

> On my new F15_64, modprobe cannot find "iptable_filter". Also,
>    find /lib -iname "*iptables*filter*"
> finds nothing.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Mike.
>
> --
> Michael D. Berger
> m.d.berger <at> ieee.org
> http://www.rosemike.net/

First of all, you should check if such a module is in your running kernel.
$ find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/ -iname "*ip*filter*"
Have you found it under ipv4 dir ? If not, then you do not have it at all or
configured.

If you did not find that iptable_filter in the very first step, ask yourself
what application or system configuration needs it ?
Becuase you may be trying to run an app (and load the module) that is too old
for your system (which as you know is evolving fast).

It is possible that the iptable_filter is not defined at all in your kernel's
source code (things are added, deleted).
This is your running kernel:
$ uname -r
To be 100% sure about that you must have access to the source code from
either:
- the web
  www.kernel.org
  This is the fastest method. Learn how to find and browse your kernel.
- Fedora repo (mirror)
  Just download it and unpack.
- your machine
  If you do not have it, learn how to download it.
  Yum makes it easy, the executable is yumdownloader.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/20689-donwload-kernel-source-using-yum.html
  etc.

JB